Orange Home Grown Farmers & Artisans Market (OHGFAM)
Assistant Market Manager Job Description- 2017
The primary purpose of Orange Home Grown, Inc. (OHG) is to cultivate a healthy community through family friendly and community based education programs. Emphasis is placed on wholesome nutrition, sustainable practices, health and fitness, and strengthening neighborhood and community partnerships. The Orange Home Grown Farmers & Artisans Market (OHGFAM) is a Saturday morning (9 am-1 pm) rain or shine year-round community-based, open-air market held at the historic Villa Park Orchards Packinghouse at 304 N. Cypress Street, in the City of Orange, CA. The OHGFAM is run and managed by Orange Home Grown Inc.
The 1,500+ customers that attend the market each week are drawn by the vibrant mix of vendors, a variety of children’s activities, cooking demonstrations, live music, and special theme days planned by the OHG Board, market manager, and volunteers. OHGFAM provides access to primarily Southern California grown fruits and vegetables and other farm products, while creating a sense of community within the city of Orange.
Assistant Market Manager Position
OHGFAM Assistant Market Manager reports to and works in coordination with the OHG Market Manager. The Assistant Market Manager is a part-time position and is the primary support for the Market Manager for the day-to-day operation of the farmers market each Saturday. This includes an on-site presence at the market, 7am morning set up and breakdown after market close until approximately 2:30 pm, and staffing the information booth. The Assistant Market Manager will support the Market Manager to work within the OHGFAM Rules and Regulations. The Assistant Market Manager will represent OHG to the market’s farmers, artisans, consumers and community. The Assistant Market Manger may be asked to work on additional projects during non-market hours as directed by the Market Manager and/or the Orange Home Grown Board of Directors (OHG Board) and Executive Director.
• Maintain records of vendor market attendance and collect and deposit weekly space fees and other Market receipts as set by the OHG Board in conjunction with the Market Manager.
• Engage in ongoing farmer/artisan recruitment in coordination with the Market Manager to build a strong vendor base as defined by Market policy and rules.
• Support the Market Manager to operate the market’s Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) program and Market Match Program.
• The Assistant Market Manager will ensure that the market area is maintained in a safe and efficient manner, and will enforce safety measures outlined in OHG Rules & Regulations.
• The Assistant Market Manager will ensure that all facilities, equipment and utilities are in working order.
• The Assistant Market Manager will support the Market Manager to properly mark and place farmers/artisans in assigned spots while keeping in compliance with fire regulations, traffic patterns and safety issues.
• The Assistant Market Manager will support the Market Manager at the Information Booth and help coordinate volunteer staffing at the market when Board members are not present. Each hour of the market operation, the Market Manager, Assistant Market Manager, or OHG Board Member will take a reasonable count of market customers and record in a comprehensive log, in addition to recording sales of OHG products such as bags and t-shirts. Assistant Manager will field customer and potential vendor questions.
• The Assistant Market Manager will participate in market set-up and market clean-up at the beginning and end of the market. This will necessitate the Assistant Market Manager be on site approximately two hours prior to opening and two hours after closing.
• The Assistant Market Manager will assure the market site is clean and safe at all times. Once the market is closed, the Assistant Market Manager (or volunteers of the market under the discretion and direction of the Market Manager or Assistant Market Manager) will take down market signage, banners, tables, fire extinguishers, chairs, tents, etc. and store appropriately in on-site storage area.
• Ability to work in fast-paced environment
• Comfort in adapting priorities
• Strong customer service and communication skills
• Outstanding customer service skills
• Basic capacity to work with numbers, count cash and perform simple math
• Strong problem solving skills
• Effective time management skills and ability to accomplish work related duties with minimal supervision
• Ability to work with individuals and groups of diverse backgrounds
• Ability to lift 50 lbs. on a regular basis
• Background in local food systems and/or community programs
• Experience working with and coordinating volunteers
• Familiarity with Microsoft Word and Excel
• Spanish language skills a plus (should we list as a requirement?)
• Social media skills
Education Level: High school diploma or GED equivalent minimum requirement
Hours: This is a year round position with the expectation that the Assistant Manager will work an average of 8-12 hours per week (added extra for social media), no more than 50 hours per month as a part time employee
Compensation: $12 per hour
Please send a cover letter and resume to:
P.O. Box 871 Orange, CA 92856
Attention- OHGFAM Market Manager Lisa David
Hand deliver to our market information booth at 304 N. Cypress St. Orange CA 92866 during market operating hours
Email to: email@example.com