Orange Home Grown Farmers and Artisans Market (OHGFAM)
Assistant Market Manager Job Description- 2015
The primary purpose of Orange Home Grown, Inc. (OHG) is to cultivate a healthy community through family friendly and community based education programs. Emphasis is placed on wholesome nutrition, sustainable practices, health and fitness, and strengthening neighborhood and community partnerships. The Orange Home Grown Farmers and Artisans Market (OHGFAM) is a Saturday morning (9 am-1 pm) rain or shine year-round community-based, open-air market held at the historic Villa Park Orchards Packinghouse at 304 N. Cypress Street, in the City of Orange, CA. The OHGFAM is the result of the vision of local Orange residents.
The 1,500 customers that attend the market each week are drawn by the vibrant mix of vendors, a variety of children’s activities, cooking demonstrations, live music, and special theme days planned by the OHG Board, market manager, and volunteers. OHGFAM provides access to primarily Southern California grown fruits and vegetables and other farm products, while creating a sense of community within the city of Orange.
Assistant Market Manager Position
OHGFAM Assistant Market Manager reports to and works under the OHG Market Manager. The Assistant Market Manager is a part-time position and is the primary support for the Market Manager for the day-to-day operation of the farmers market each Saturday. This will include an on-site presence at the market, including early morning set up and breakdown after market close. The Assistant Market Manger may be asked to work on additional projects during non-market hours as directed by the Market Manager and the Orange Home Grown Board of Directors (OHG Board). The Assistant Market Manager will support the Market Manager to work within the OHGFAM Rules and Regulations. The Assistant Market Manager will represent OHG to the market’s farmers, artisans, consumers and community.
• Maintain records of vendor market attendance and collect and deposit weekly space fees and other Market receipts as set by the OHG Board in conjunction with the Market Manager.
• Engage in ongoing farmer/artisan recruitment in coordination with the Market Manager to build a strong vendor base as defined by Market policy and rules.
• Support the Market Manager to operate the market’s Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) program and Women, Infants and Children (WIC) program when instituted- Anticipated Early 2016.
• The Assistant Market Manager will ensure that the market area is maintained in a safe and efficient manner.
• The Assistant Market Manager will ensure that all facilities, equipment and utilities are in working order.
• The Assistant Market Manager will support the Market Manager to properly mark and place farmers/artisans in assigned spots while keeping in compliance with fire regulations, traffic patterns and safety issues.
• The Assistant Market Manager will participate in market set-up and market clean-up at the beginning and end of the market. This will necessitate the Assistant Market Manager be on site approximately two hours prior to opening and one hour after closing at a minimum.
• The Assistant Market Manager will assure the market site is clean at all times. Once the market is closed, the Assistant Market Manager (or volunteers of the market under the discretion and direction of the Market Manager or Assistant Market Manager) will take down market signage, banners, tables, fire extinguishers, chairs, tents, etc. and store appropriately in on-site storage area.
• The Assistant Market Manager will support the Market Manager at the Information Booth/Welcome table and help coordinate volunteer staffing at the market when Board members are not present. Each hour of the market operation, the Market Manager, Assistant Market Manager, or volunteer will take a reasonable count of market customers and record in a comprehensive log.
• The Assistant Market Manager will perform additional duties as assigned by the Market Manager or Orange Home Grown Board of Directors.
• Ability to work in fast-paced environment
• Comfort in adapting priorities
• Strong communication skills
• Outstanding customer service skills
• Basic capacity to work with numbers, count cash and perform simple math
• Strong problem solving skills
• Effective time management skills and ability to accomplish work related duties with minimal
• Ability to work with individuals and groups of diverse backgrounds
• Ability to lift 50 lbs on a regular basis
• Background in local food systems and/or community programs
• Experience working with and coordinating volunteers
• Familiarity with Microsoft Word and Excel
• Spanish language skills a plus
Education Level: High school diploma or GED equivalent or greater
Hours: This is a year round position with the expectation that the Assistant Manager will work an average of 8-10 hours per week, no more than 40 hours per month as a part time employee
Compensation: $12-14/hour depending on experience, no benefits included
Please send a cover letter and resume to:
P.O. Box 871 Orange, CA 92856
Attention- OHG Board President Brian Kunisch